1) Open your Family Tree Maker Program. Make sure you are in Family View. In Family view, you have the husband at the top of the page, the wife in the center and the children at the bottom of the page. Parents and siblings will be located on the right side of the page.
2) Select the individual you wish to make the gedcom for. This will be the ancestor you want to show the descendants of. For example, I would select Joseph O'Neale, the oldest O'Neal in my database. (In the O'Neal line)
3) Go to the menu bar at the top of the page. Place your mouse over FILE, and a drop down box will appear. Move your mouse down the drop down box to COPY/EXPORT FAMILY FILE, and click the left mouse button.
4) A popup window will appear. See Image 1, below.
5) In the file name, enter a descriptive file name. For example I use the name www.onealwebsite.com. The reason I do this is so if somebody downloads this gedcom and merges it with their data, every item imported will show the source, !WWW.ONEALWEBSITE.COM.GEDCOM!
6) In the SAVE AS TYPE field, make sure you select GEDCOM (*GED)
7) Click the SAVE Button. When you do the last popup window will appear. See Image 2 below.
8) Leave this box EXACTLY as it is and click OK. (Trust me on this.)
Congratulations, you have just created a gedcom file!
Now that you have a gedcom file, you can post it on the Rootsweb site, absolutely free. I like Rootsweb. If you read their disclaimer you will find that you as the poster of the file have full control over the file. You may upload, download, and/or modify the file as often as you wish. (Literally.) You can make the file as large as you want, all for free.
To see what my Rootsweb page looks like, go to My Rootsweb Page. (This is my O'Neal Rootsweb page). It took me 20 minutes to build it and I can update it at any time in about 5 minutes. Your page will look just like this.
1) To begin, look at the blue bar across the top of
the page. On the right side there is a button that says CONTRIBUTE. Click
2) The first thing you will need to do is provide the administrator at Rootsweb with a User Name and Password. The User name simply designates the page you want to build. The password is provided so only someone knowing the password can add, delete and/or change the page. Write the User Name and Password down and put into a safe place. Upon verification of your User Name and Password, you are ready to proceed.
4) Go to Page 2. See link below.